5 Names of the Qur’an
December 29, 2014
Scholars have outlined various names and attributes of the Glorious Qur’an. In this article we will discuss five names by which Allah Ta’ala refers to His book.
القرآن كلام الله , المنزل على نبيه محمد صلى الله عليه و سلم , المعجز بلفظه
المتعبد بتلاوته , المكتوب فى المصاحف , المنقول بالتواتر
(المباحث فى علوم القرآن, مناع القطان)
The Qur’an is the speech of Allah as revealed unto his Prophet Muhammad, its wording is miraculous in nature, to recite it is an act of worship, it is that which is written in the Masaahif, and has been passed on through each generation through tawaatur (by such a large group of people that it is inconceivable for them to agree to falsehood or convene on a lie.)
- القرآن (Al-Qur’an) The Recital
- الفرقان (Al-Furqan) The Criterion
- الذكر (Ath-Thikr) The Advice/The Reminder
- الكتاب (Al-Kitab) The Book
- التنزيل (At-Tanzeel) The Revelation
- Al-Qur’an: The recital. It is named this due to its unique method its recitation, which differentiates it from all other books.
(إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا جَمْعَهُ وَقُرْآنَهُ ﴿القيامة: ١٧
Indeed it is our responsibility to collect it and to make you recite it. (Al-Qiyaamah:17)
(قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا غَيْرَ ذِي عِوَجٍ لَّعَلَّهُمْ يَتَّقُونَ ﴿الزمر: ٢٨
It is an Arabic Qur’an that has no digression (from the truth), so that they may be God-fearing (Az-Zumar: 28)
- Al-Furqan: The word ‘Furqan’ is derived from فرَّق (farraqa), meaning ‘to make a distinction, to separate’. The Book of Allah is used as a standard to distinguish between truth and falsehood, the decisive factor between right and wrong. It is through the Qur’an that Allah has made the truth clear to mankind and the means by which we are taken out of darkness into light.
(تَبَارَكَ الَّذِي نَزَّلَ الْفُرْقَانَ عَلَىٰ عَبْدِهِ لِيَكُونَ لِلْعَالَمِينَ نَذِيرًا﴿الفرقان: ١
Blessed indeed is that being who revealed the Criterion to his bondsman so that He may be a warner to all the worlds. (Al-Furqan: 1)
- Ath-Thikr: An Advice or Reminder. The Qur’an is the best reminder for man and jinn until the Final Day. The verses of Qur’an repeatedly remind us of our duties and responsibilities in this life. The Qur’an contains advice, principles and values, through which we can seek guidance.
(إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ ﴿الحجر: ٩
Without doubt, we have revealed the reminder and we shall certainly be its protectors. (Al-Hijr: 9)
- Al-Kitab: The Qur’an is that book which gathers stories of past prophets and their respective nations, lesson-bearing incidents, laws and injunctions and many other messages from Almighty Allah in a very concise way. One unique aspect of the Qur’an is that it compiles those facts and aspects of knowledge which were hither to spread out amongst the previously revealed scriptures.
(كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَارَكٌ لِّيَدَّبَّرُوا آيَاتِهِ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ ﴿ص: ٢٩
This is a blessed book We have revealed to you so that they deliberate in its verses and so that the men of understanding may heed to advice. (Saad: 29)
- At-Tanzeel: This name of the glorious Qur’an is derived from نزَّل ‘nazzala’ – which means ‘to send down from a lofty place’. By using this name, Allah has ascribed the revelation of the Qur’an to himself. This indicates that the Qur’an has been blessed with divine care and protection.
(وَإِنَّهُ لَتَنزِيلُ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ (الشعراء: ١٩٢
This (Qur’an) is the revelation of the Lord of the Worlds (Shu’araa: 192)
(وَإِنَّهُ لَكِتَابٌ عَزِيزٌ.لَّا يَأْتِيهِ الْبَاطِلُ مِن بَيْنِ يَدَيْهِ وَلَا مِنْ خَلْفِهِ تَنزِيلٌ مِّنْ حَكِيمٍ حَمِيدٍ (فصلت: ٤٢
And surely it is an unassailable Book. That cannot be approached by falsehood, neither from its fronts nor from its behind; a revelation from the All-wise, the Ever-praised (Fussilat: 41,42)
Sources and further reading:
1. Al-Itqaan fi Uloom il-Qur’an, Imam Jalaluddin Suyooti
2. An approach to the Qur’anic Sciences, Mufti Taqi Uthmani
Featured Image: Qur’an manuscript from North Africa, 16th century; Yattara Family Private Library. (via Iqsaweb)